Friday 20 July 2012

In which Lucy and I do some Japanesey thingages (and I invent new words it would seem).


So come Tuesday I was feeling settled and comfortable. But on this day Lucy had to go into lessons. I believe I merely laid in bed half asleep, not trying to retain sleeping or stubbornly not waking just strangely unable to wake properly. Lucy went to her lessons and I walked her there. I then went for a wander and a bike ride, on her red bike - Rosy. It was both with hesitation and confidence that I rolled out among the Nipponese. On the one hand I felt out of place and the target of suspicion seeing as if I was asked anything I would fall over, metaphorically, but on the other there was no reason to feel odd at all. It felt like when I first drove a car on my own, like as if everyone secretly knew I was a beginner. I headed round the tight roads and watched other people in case there was some secret cycling code that I was shockingly ignoring. I quickly learnt that this was not the case though. I also found that even in Japan the cyclist are all over the road, something you might more expect in China or the Vietnam and so forth peninsular.
In random boldness, I've been feeling more confident recently, I decided to head into a super market... BY MYSELF!!! argh. I bought an apple, the only fruit I had there?! I'm not sure but I remember Lucy saying that I splashed out for it. The shop was full of old women who were half my height. They also moved for me less than Australians although in AUS they are at eye level and stare at you in the eye where as here I wonder if anyone looked up to see I was a gaijin walking amongst them. On that note I'm sure I scared everyone with my big beard because no one looked at me. In the end the woman at the til rushed me through without evening looking at my face and I was out of there without problem. I returned to the bike park outside and rolled on off. While waiting for Lucy to finish lessons I took a trip over to the other side of her University and under the Freeway, which is raised up to avoid anything from the city getting in the way. It was on this side of the Freeway that I found two stray cats living under a car. It was very cute and I took a video to show Lucy. They were timid of human contact but liked to stare. Lucy called me the cat whisperer because I saw more cats in Japan in ten days than she saw in the whole time she has been there.
Later that day we headed upstairs to the girls in the other flat to arrange a presentation they had been asked to do simply because they were from another country visiting a Japanese University, seemed a bit taxing considering all the other work they had to do.
On Wednesday we headed to Asakusa, Lucy is fed up of visiting Asakusa as she has been there so many times. I revelled mostly in the amount of people there, more than what was actually there. 

The busy Asakusa

 Posing like a Japanese girl

I admired the large shameless Americans who love to stick out as tourist more than anything, is the impression. It gave me the idea that there are three types of Gaijin who are in Japan, those that integrate well like Mr. J-list and get a Japanese wife, those that are loud US style tourists and those that act like hipsters like something out of lost in translation that act like they liked Japan before it was cool, Lucy disputes this and she's probably right. I feel this way when I see people feeling proud that they like sushi more than someone who hasn't had it before... even if they themselves have only had it once before! Moving on. The temples were big, cool and all but Lucy and I had visited a remote one and had got to see it in peace and that for me was a better experience. Not to turn you away from Asakusa, its still pretty and pretty awesome. Moving slightly away from that we found one of Tokyo's weird hidden and tightly packed amusement parks like the one in Jin-Roh or Giant Killing and like those two anime the one we same felt depressing in a strange way with little people actually inside enjoying it. We went for lunch around the train station. I thought it would be good to head to somewhere typical Tokyo ish and that meant a slightly tucked away business lunch. The regular food in Japan, if you be interested, is the kind of thing they have at Lucy's uni cafeteria, things like karokke, katsu chicken and curry, ramen noodles, seafood lots of fried things, a tiny amount of salad, a few pickles and of course... a ton of sticky rice :D in the place we went to I had a curry which you order by paying at a ticket dispensing machine, in order to lower human contact of course, and then handing it to the food counter and they mix it up for you. There was also a free water dispenser there which dispensed ice too, I thought it was amazing. We nommed and headed out quick, which is the idea.



 Typical lovu lovu photo for the memories.

We also wanted to head to the Sky Tree and instead of getting the train one stop we instead decided to walk, and that left us with a good photo opportunity and ever the tourist I am doing something silly in one photo at least. Lucy also showed her confidence and skills and asked a man to take our picture, and its a really nice picture of us together. 


 





























Sky Tree hat

On the long walk to the Sky Tree in the heat we stopped for a drink at the vending machine. The thing about these machines apart from them being everywhere is that they are also cheap and the drinks cost about the same across the choice. Some are 100Y for everything some go up to a sky high 130Y. But what this means is that you tend to head for the biggest thing in there which in this case was a half litre can of coke and energy, because we wanted to feel so energetic. On the walk we also crossed at a crossing which played what I think is a famous pop song some where, but I couldn't put my finger on what song.
The Sky Tree..... is big!! Or tall more likely. Its pretty serious on the tall front. I wanted to get a size of how large just one of those beams was that make up the design, so I did :3 Then we entered the little shopping village... I say village... it was a mall, there I said it. There was a big Hello Kitty doll and we weren't supposed to take photos. We got a little lost because I didn't realise how big it was in there and then we found the Shounen Jump shop, which is a magazine that runs manga serializations. Of course half of it was One Piece and the other half almost completely made up of Bleach and Naruto but I found some Bakuman things in there. It made me realise just how big One Piece is here but also how valid Bakuman's story is, which is a story about two boys trying to get a feature in a parody of the Jump magazine itself.



 The size of a single beam on the Sky Tree.

On the Thursday we headed to Laketown which is the name of a shopping mall, a big one too. Little did I know that it is basically three merged together and unlike the shopping malls in Perth which are about a quarter of the size you can get really lost in these. The first thing we did was see some incredibly cute kittehs and puppies in a pet shop and I literally had to pull Lucy away from watching them roll around looking massively cute. On the third floor there were eating places with about no one in them, the staff stared at you as you walked by and you could almost hear them sigh as you decided not to go in. Instead we wheeled round and headed into that 'family restaurant' by the station. A family restaurant is a bit different to anything that we have back home. The closest thing is a harvester or sizzler but those are pub-like whereas here there is no bar, hence the family bit. Its basically a cafe that wanted to be a restaurant. You head in and wait to be seated, then you scan the menu, smash tap the buzzer when you want service and order foods and drinks. When they come they bring the receipt and when you are finished you approach the buzzer again and pay at the little desk thing they have in eating places and head out and the reason why that is not like a restaurant? Well ask how it is different to a cafe/diner. 

  Posing beautifully on a duck.

I posed on a duck, we attained the Ghibli shop and looked around about a third of the place, had a look at the outside which at the moment is a massive surroundings of grass and I did wonder if we were still in Tokyo, considering. After Laketown we headed back to Soka and were determined to discover the Japanese secret art of Pachinko!!!!! Big mistake. We were very intrigued and felt a duty to explore this area of Japan for the adventure sake. But not only did we have no idea what we were doing we also couldn't have been more out of place in there. The guy smiling crazy at me first completely ignored Lucy and turned to the guy, even though I knew barely any Japanese and I couldn't understand him in there regardless due to the noise. Needless to say we blew our money and wandered out of there more confused than anything but richer for the experience. We made so many jokes about it that it was hard to breath as we were laughing so hard on the way back. That's when we got some delicious pork and cheese fried ball things that were awesome. It also makes a good story and I've learned that these things are one of the most important things you can gain from your adventures and make me feel that even though I only stayed in Perth this whole time in AUS I have a lot to say because of what I did here, the stories may not be as varied as they would be from all over AUS but they are still interesting. 

P.S about that last photo, she couldn't duck out of it ^__^ 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment